: Event Manager
Chicago, Illinois, USA; hybrid or remote with the ability to work in Central Time Zone
The Global FoodBanking Network
(GFN) seeks to nourish the world’s hungry through uniting and advancing food banks. Founded in 2006, GFN connects food banking organizations in more than 40 countries that together serve more than 16 million people annually. The organization currently operates with a team of twenty-three employees based primarily out of Chicago and engages a globally diverse Board of Directors.
Our goal is to support communities in their fight against hunger and food insecurity through advancing the food banking model. GFN launched a new strategic plan in 2019 that charts continued growth with an ambitious vision to help enable its food bank members to materially increase the amount of food distributed to those in need, distribute more nutrient-rich foods, and strengthen the resilience of their communities. Its major goals include:
- Increase the number of people served by food banks with which GFN currently works.
- Expand food banking in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Support food banking organizations in distributing a greater diversity of foods.
- Build a trusted global network of food rescue and relief organizations.
Our 2030 vision is a global network of community-led food banks that serve meals to 50 million people facing hunger. Our team provides best practices, partners and resources to food bank founders and organizations to help them fight hunger more effectively. In the next five years, we are especially aiming to come alongside changemakers in low-income communities, primarily those based in Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America.
GFN’s Food Bank Network is growing and expanding into more international locations. To meet the needs of our network, we will be convening more events than ever before as part of the strategy to provide meaningful information to all food banks within the network. The annual Food Bank Leadership Institute (FBLI) has served as GFN’s flagship in-person event and will resume once global travel is safe and COVID-19 related travel restrictions are lifted. In addition, GFN will convene an increased number of smaller, regional in-person events in support of specific programs most notably the Asia and Africa Incubators.
Since the onset of COVID-19 GFN has quickly established a strong capability in holding online events. As the Network grows, online events will be an important tactic to complement the in-person events. Online events include keynote webinars/panel discussions for a global audience, workshops for a small regional group, and even multi-day online conferences.
GFN is looking for an experienced event project manager who can manage the many moving parts involved in events to ensure all events, both online and in-person, are delivered on time, on budget, and of high quality.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Model GFN Values:
Throughout all actions and activities including: Lead with Inspiration, Champion community led solutions, create sustainable impact, honor our commitments, Center diversity, equity, and inclusion, learn and innovate.
Event Management for Online / Virtual Events:
Event Management for In-Person Events:
- Manage and maintain the calendar of online and in-person events to ensure sufficient spacing between events and avoid clashes. Ensure all events are communicated to internal staff.
- Work with technical partner and relevant GFN event owner to ensure new events are promptly listed on the website with all relevant information:
- Speaker names, job titles, bios, and headshots
- Event description, timing in multiple time zones, image/banner
- Test registration process and all automated e-mails for each event
- Maintain all the above in addition of date/time changes, speaker changes, etc.
- Work with the Communications team to create invitations and distribution lists tailored for each event
- Manage and run registration reports and send to all stakeholders:
- Deduplicate registrations
- Classify and categorize all registrants
- Deduplicate country list
- Create Zoom Meetings and Webinars for events (live events and rehearsals):
- Create individual Zoom Links for speakers
- Configure all Zoom settings for each session/event
- Manage the interpretation and translation services for all sessions (spoken and written materials)
- Work with technical partner on troubleshooting issues
- Run event reports and analysis on attendance
- Identify minimum attendance goals and maximum attendance thresholds
- Send attendee list to stakeholders
- Maintain overall program attendance log
- Manage evaluation of online events program:
- Create surveys in SurveyMonkey
- Collate results to enable periodic program review
- Provide creative solutions to respond to any issues/concerns raised about the event
- Work with technical partner to assess new technological solutions for GFN online events
- Calculate travel expenses from each region to aid in reimbursement estimates
- Update GFN internal travel and event calendar to ensure internal communications
- Design and manage the registration process
- Create and test the website for registration including for different payment tiers
- Manage registrations including responding to any questions/issues
- Run regular registration reports and share with stakeholders
- Identify minimum attendance goals and maximum attendance thresholds
- Create and design program booklets
- Collate the Bio Book of all attendees
- Identify and order required supplies and collateral needed at the event, and arrange shipping to the venue
- Book and manage interpretation services required and manage them on-site at the event
- Ensure all presentation materials are provided on time, translated, and posted on the Attendee site
- Manage on-site registration at the event if required
- Act as the primary point of contact for any attendee or staff questions before/during the event
- Assign roles to GFN Staff and manage support staff on-site during the event
- Manage the third-party AV team on-site during the event
- Support all logistics planning and execution
- Plan logistics and manage sign up process for any field trips
- Manage the evaluation process:
- Design evaluation survey
- Distribute survey
- Evaluate results and provide basic analysis of the results
- Provide creative solutions to respond to issues or concerns raised about the event
- Work with GFN Finance to track attendee reimbursements if applicable
Constantly survey the external landscape to identify new technology, communication, or content trends for both in-person and online events and incorporate best practices into the planning and execution of all GFN events.
- A self-starter with a passion for building and scaling organizations with a social mission
- Minimum 5 years experience of managing events in an international context, with a clear understanding of the many components included in successful event planning.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously with detail in completing thorough tracking of all activities and follow-up actions.
- Must be experienced in the basic concepts of project management (planning, status reporting, risk/issue management) and have familiarity with a range of project management tools and templates.
- Must have a proven track record for supplier management which results in the suppliers going above and beyond.
- Must possess excellent communication skills (especially written and verbal).
- Must have experience working across multiple cultures and time zones and be flexible.
- Possess excellent level of Microsoft Office suite skills.
- Must be an advanced user of Zoom including all the settings and admin functions.
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English. Other languages would be a bonus (especially Spanish).
- Must have international life or travel experience.
- Commitment to the mission of reducing world hunger through the advancement of food banking.
- Ability to travel as needed both domestically and internationally
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere is at the heart of our organization. We promote diversity of thought, culture, and background, which connects the entire GFN workforce. As such, GFN is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender expression
, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Work will be conducted in a normal office environment.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global FoodBanking Network embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Its goal is to attract, develop, and retain a talented, diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.